Blog Radio 24 - Channeling Song through Fresh Souls

Welcome to Blog Radio volume 24

"Channel Surfing" Songs - New Covers!

Channeling old music and songs through young souls....

The Beach Boys - The Letter (demo version -Box Tops cover)
One of my favorite classics to see performed live and acoustic.
The Box Tops were pretty much a one-hit wonder.

I am Astronaut - What is Love? (Haddaway cover)
I have been following I am Astronaut for about a year now.
This is a solo version of the song from the band in Sunland, California.
They are supposedly in the studio now, which is great.

TV on the Radio - Mr. Grieves (Pixies cover)
NYC's TV on the Radio proved the hype last year.
Tremendously different and very good, they cover the Pixies here.

Ok Go - Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield cover)
Finally, something to wash the "Here we Go" song away.
Well, it won't get as big - but you have to love a Rick Springfield cover!

Flaming Lips - Seven Nation Army (White Stripes cover)

Just in case you missed it, the Flaming Lips are geniuses.
They can play ANYTHING. Seriously talented.
I hope they produce a new album this year.

Eve6 - You Really Got Me (Kinks cover)
Eve6, from what I am told, were a spotty band.
The performance from one show to the next could vary greatly.
I only saw them play once and they were bloody awesome.
Here is their take of the Kinks cover of a cheese classic.
(Before you write - I like the Kinks and Van Halen... But the song is dripping.)

Jude - Crazy (Gnarls Barkley cover)

Jude is a tremendously talented singer songwriter.
He is originally from Boston but now lives and performs in LA
Check out what I wrote about him before: Jude.

Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't Shit (Dr. Dre cover)
Honestly, best funny cover - ever? Ben Fold is so underrated.
The fact he would do this and pull off the Weezer sound - well.
Genius!

Cansei de ser Sexy - Pretend We're Dead (L7 cover)
I posted this one recently, but it's a damn good cover.
L7 is a band you don't see much of these days.
A great song.

Chris Cornell - Redemption Song (Bob Marley cover)
Chris Cornell is on tour solo these days.
Great version. His Led Zep cover (Thank You) rocks too!

You say, "I Like It!!!"
Check out Blog Radio 23: Link


What is Blog Radio? This collection celebrates my musical tastes, gives me a chance to dust off some old classics and slip in some new artists who might otherwise not get proper exposure. A new installment is released once each week to ten days. (This entry is loooong overdue!) Today's post is a commemoration of sorts to clever and unusual cover songs - channeling (if you will) the spirit of the artist and their original version of the song. These are the latest and greatest cover songs in my collection. Some, you will find, are most unexpected - Ryan

Comments

Anonymous said…
"really got me" =kinks
van halen's version was a cover
Ryan Spaulding said…
Hahah! Of course. I stand corrected. Good catch. Twice a year I make a mistake. Three times a year with the shower or bath. Thanks - Ryan

Popular Posts